A road for a pilgrim to enter upon who would climb to the gates of heaven – Thoreau 1844.
North Adams, MA, Sat Sep 12, 2015
The Northampton Cycling Club’s Mt. Greylock Hillclimb is an annual bicycle race up the north face of Mt. Greylock to the summit at 3,489′, the highest point in Massachusetts. The course covers 9.1 miles, with grades as steep as 17%, and a few brief descents in the first half of the course. The race is run in time trial format, with riders starting at 30-second intervals, with no drafting allowed. The spectacular views from the summit cover four states, and the event concludes with a post-race party with great food and beer at the Freight Yard Pub at the starting point.
On-site registration will be available on the morning of the event, Saturday, September 12.
Please note that the auto road is open to vehicle traffic during the event.
As always we need volunteers to make this event happen.
Please sign up to volunteer here!
Thru July 5……………….$60
July 6 – August 31………$65
September 1 – 6………….$70
Start: The Berkshires’ Western Gateway Heritage State Park
Finish: The summit of Mt. Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts
- Route map http://www.northeastcycling.com/Hillclimb_Races.html#Greylock
- Strava segment https://www.strava.com/segments/2333044
- 1st place in each 5 year age group — $50.
- Part of the 2015 BUMPS Hillclimb Series
- Start: Gateway Heritage State Park, 115 State Street, North Adams, MA
- Individual starts every 30 seconds. Choose a preferred half-hour starting block between 8:00 AM and 10:30 AM when registering.
- Very affordable summit lodging, with food, at the Bascom Lodge
- Age 19 and under pay just $19 to enter.
- Age division awards from 35-80+, by 5 years.
- Two Juniors age divisions — 14 and under, and 15-19.
- Top Male & Female — $150, $100 & $50.
- 2nd place in each 5 year age group — $30.
- 3nd place in each 5 year age group — Merchandise and Gift Certificates.
- 1st Tandem & 1st Unicyclist- $50.
- “Vintage racing bikes” – $50 defined as:
- built before the introduction of indexed shifting, usually lugged steel.
- old frames or newer builds in the traditional style are required
- friction shifting
- freewheels with no more than 7 cogs
- Toe clips and straps are encouraged but, for the convenience of the riders, clipless pedals are allowed.
- Need 100 words or less description of bike emailed to email@example.com.
- “AGE” is how old you are on December 31, 2015.
- Free Long Sleeve performance tech shirt, both men’s and women’s cut, for registrations before September 1st.
- Light refreshments at the summit.
- Party with music in the courtyard at the Freight Yard Pub. Hot lunch provided with cash bar.
- Hotel Headquarters with special rates email us for info.
- NCC club discount.
- Berkshires of Western Mass. – Info and Travel Planner
- Museums; Mass MoCa, The Clark Art Museum , Norman Rockwell Museum.
Local Lodging Options:
- Bascom Lodge: A favorite for several BUMPS folk. (at the Summit) From hotel-like private rooms all the way to coed bunk rooms! www.bascomlodge.net or 413-743-1591. Really good dining too!
- Holiday Inn: Special rates if you mention the race. 40 Main St. North Adams, MA 01247
- Inn on East Main Street B & B: offering 5% discount to cyclists.
- Porches Inn at MASS MoCA: offers 47 rooms & suites in six Victorian-era row houses renovated in retro chic style. A healthful continental breakfast buffet is included in the room rate. 10% discount to racers who mention the Greylock Hill Climb TT when making their reservation!
- 182 East Main Street North Adams, MA 01247 Phone: (413) 664-2099 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Historical Valley Campground: Located on picturesque Windsor Lake, 1.5 miles from downtown North Adams. Reservations can be made by calling 413-662-3198 or by sending an email request to: email@example.com. Special discounts available to race participants and their families.
- Museums; Mass MoCa, The Clark Art Museum, Norman Rockwell Museum.