A road for a pilgrim to enter upon who would climb to the gates of heaven – Thoreau 1844.
North Adams, MA, Sat Sep 12, 2015
The Northampton Cycling Club’s Mt. Greylock Hillclimb is an annual bicycle race up the north face of Mt. Greylock to the summit at 3,489′, the highest point in Massachusetts. The course covers 9.1 miles, with grades as steep as 17%, and a few brief descents in the first half of the course. The race is run in time trial format, with riders starting at 30-second intervals, with no drafting allowed. The spectacular views from the summit cover four states, and the event concludes with a post-race party with great food and beer at the Freight Yard Pub at the starting point.
Online registration is closed. On-site will be available on the morning of the event, Saturday, September 12.
As always we need volunteers to make this event happen
Sign up sheet coming soon!
Thru June 31………………$60
July 1- August 31…………$65
September 1 – 12………..$70
Start: The Berkshires’ Western Gateway Heritage State Park
Finish: The summit of Mt. Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts
- 1st place in each 5 year age group — $50.
- Part of the 2015 BUMPS Hillclimb Series
- Start: Gateway Heritage State Park, 115 State Street, North Adams, MA
- Individual starts every 30 seconds. Choose a preferred half-hour starting block between 8:00 AM and 10:30 AM when registering.
- Route map http://www.northeastcycling.com/Hillclimb_Races.html#Greylock
- Very affordable summit lodging, with food, at the Bascom Lodge
- Age 19 and under pay just $19 to enter.
- Age division awards from 35-80+, by 5 years.
- Two Juniors age divisions — 14 and under, and 15-19.
- Top Male & Female — $150, $100 & $50.
- 2nd place in each 5 year age group — $30.
- 3nd place in each 5 year age group — Merchandise and Gift Certificates.
- 1st Tandem & 1st Unicyclist- $50.
- “Vintage racing bikes” – $50 defined as:
- built before the introduction of indexed shifting, usually lugged steel.
- old frames or newer builds in the traditional style are required
- friction shifting
- freewheels with no more than 7 cogs
- Toe clips and straps are encouraged but, for the convenience of the riders, clipless pedals are allowed.
- Need 100 words or less description of bike must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “AGE” is how old you are on December 31, 2013.
- Free T-Shirt, both man’s and woman’s cut, for registrations before September 1st.
- Light refreshments at the summit.
- Party with music in the courtyard at the Freight Yard Pub. Hot lunch provided with cash bar.
- Hotel Headquarters with special rates email us for info.
- NCC club discount.
- Berkshires of Western Mass. – Info and Travel Planner
- Museums; Mass MoCa, The Clark Art Museum , Norman Rockwell Museum.
- Additional Accommodations: Porches Inn is very nice http://www.porches.com/